CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Some Fitbit watch customers have contacted Action 9 saying the smart watches they spent hundreds on, barely turn on anymore.
Ashley Brewer says she paid $208 for her first smart watch, a Fitbit Sense.
“I had it for a week and it literally froze, and it’s not working,” she told Action 9′s Jason Stoogenke.
Stoogenke found similar comments on social media. One person said, “The logo won’t disappear.” Another person claimed it got stuck on the logo screen and “won’t do anything.” Another person said their screen goes black.
“Initially, at first, I just thought it was a charging issue, so I went to charge the device up,” Brewer said. She said it usually takes about 15 minutes to fully charge, but she charged the watch for more than an hour and it still didn’t work.
She called the company, which gave her instructions on how to reset the watch. But she said the watch still did not work after she tried resetting it.
“I just think that, from a consumer standpoint, it’s not fair to us because we spend a lot of money on these devices and we hope for it to be reliable,” she said.
Stoogenke contacted Fitbit and asked why customers seem to be having these problems. The company did not answer that question, but said it was committed to “delivering a superior customer experience.”
“We respond quickly when customers report issues and strive to work closely with them through our customer service channels to ensure their satisfaction.”
Brewer got a new Fitbit after the company offered to replace her watch.
Stoogenke found a few official Fitbit forums online that offer different troubleshooting advice for this issue.
One site says:
1) Press and hold the back and bottom buttons until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen. For Fitbit Versa Lite Edition, hold the back button for 10 seconds.
2) Let go of the buttons.
3) If you still have issues with your device, turn it off and turn it back on.
Another site says:
1) On the device, hold all three buttons for about 10 to 12 seconds.
2) When the Fitbit logo disappears, quickly release the bottom right button, continuing to hold down the left and top right buttons (releasing the bottom right button as soon as the logo disappears is time sensitive).
3) When the device vibrates, release all buttons.
4) Wait for approximately 1-2 minutes while the device clears all data. Eventually, the Fitbit logo appears and the device boots and displays Fitbit.com/setup.
5) When the device successfully resets, please use the normal out-of-the-box process of updating the firmware. You can check: How do I update my Fitbit device? for more details.
(WATCH: More people claim Apple Watch caused burns, injuries)
©2022 Cox Media Group