CHARLOTTE — Two former Carolina Panthers are being inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame Class of 2023.
Luke Kuechly is already famous for his hard hits with the Carolina Panthers, and now his time as a Boston College linebacker is being recognized. Running back DeAngelo Williams’s pounding runs at Memphis are also earning recognition.
Kuechly and Williams were named part of the 2023 College Football Hall of Fame Class on Monday, joining a list of football stars full of familiar names honored by the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame.
Before the cheers of “Luke!” in Bank of America Stadium, Kuechly made waves with the Boston College Eagles from 2009 to 2011. He was named a unanimous first-team All-American, and also earned the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, the Lombardi Award, and the Butkus Award in 2011. That recognition helped Kuechly get drafted in the first round by the Panthers, where he spent his entire NFL career.
Williams was the Panthers’ first-round pick in 2006 after earning All-American honors in 2005. It didn’t take him long to make his first Pro Bowl after leading the league in rushing touchdowns in 2008, and Williams is second on the Panthers’ all-time rushing list, with 6,846 yards.
Kuechly is one of three linebackers and Williams is one of four running backs to make the Class of 2023, which was announced Monday night on ESPN before the College Football Playoff National Championship game.
Here’s the full College Football Hall of Fame Class of 2023:
- Eric Berry – DB, Tennessee
- Michael Bishop – QB, Kansas State
- Reggie Bush – RB, Southern California
- Dwight Freeney – DE, Syracuse
- Robert Gallery – OT, Iowa
- LaMichael James – RB, Oregon
- Derrick Johnson – LB, Texas
- Bill Kollar – DT, Montana State
- Luke Kuechly – LB, Boston College
- Jeremy Maclin – WR/KR, Missouri
- Terance Mathis – WR, New Mexico
- Bryant McKinnie – OT, Miami
- Corey Moore – DL, Virginia Tech
- Michael Stonebreaker – LB, Notre Dame
- Tim Tebow – QB, Florida
- Troy Vincent – DB, Wisconsin
- Brian Westbrook – RB, Villanova
- DeAngelo Williams – RB, Memphis
Four coaches were also named to the Class of 2023: Monte Carter, Paul Johnson, Roy Kramer, and Mark Richt.
The class will officially be inducted during the 65th NFF Annual Awards Dinner on Dec. 5.
(WATCH BELOW: Former Panthers Kuechly, Olsen pass knowledge as coaches in youth football)
©2023 Cox Media Group