Used car dealership that closed suddenly files for bankruptcy

CHARLOTTE — A used car dealership that recently closed suddenly has now filed for bankruptcy.

Action 9 investigator Jason Stoogenke learned American Car Center went out of business across the country in late February.

According to court records, it filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Chapter 7 is for liquidation as opposed to reorganization.

The company says it has between 1,000 and 5,000 creditors. Typically in these cases, consumers are at the bottom of the pecking order.

A lot of customers have questions about payments, tags, titles, mechanical issues, and more.

Here’s what anyone in this situation should know:

1. If you have a temporary tag, contact the DMV. Have your bill of sale or lease agreement handy.

2. Keep making payments. You don’t want to hurt your credit. You can pay these four ways:

- Pay online at amfinancial.com.

- Pay by phone at 877-720-4477.

- Pay in person at a CheckFreePay location. Find a location here.

- Pay by mail. Make checks or money orders payable to Westlake Portfolio Management. Include your billing payment slip or write your Westlake account number on the check. Allow seven business days for delivery if using standard mail.

      1. Regular mail: Westlake Portfolio Management, P.O. Box 847405, Los Angeles, CA 90084-7405
      2. Overnight mail: Westlake Portfolio Management, ATTN: LBX # 847405, 3440 Flair Drive, El Monte, CA 91731

3. As you may have noticed in No. 2, a group called Westlake Portfolio Management is handling the payments for American Car Center. If that company contacts you, take it seriously, it is not a scam. For general questions, customers can contact WPM at 877-854-1898 or wpmcustomercare@wpmservicing.com. For credit inquiries associated with WPM reporting contact creditbureaus@wpmservicing.com.

4. American Car Center is based in Tennessee, where dealers are required to be bonded. If you have a problem with your car, there may be money you can tap into. File a complaint with the Tennessee Motor Vehicle Commission here.

5. You can always talk to a lawyer if you think you need more help.

(WATCH BELOW: Trained civilians could respond to minor car crashes if bill passes)